|More than twenty years ago, moviegoers thrilled to the stunning designs that were created for Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Thus began a tradition of creative brilliance that now continues in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, as moviegoers are transported back to the beginning of the greatest space epic of our time. And once again a team of artists has been assembled to create a new galaxy, with an array of visuals more striking than ever before.
Featuring conceptual illustrations, sequential art, and brilliant, fully-executed paintings, this lavish volume digs deep into the Lucasfilm archives, detailing Episode I's revolutionary use of traditional and high-tech media. Exploring the creative impulse behind all of the astonishing, masterfully crafted designs, inside you'll find
- Key action sequences, including the Podraces on Tatooine and the riveting ground and space battles
- Fascinating interviews and photos of the artists at work
- Magnificent paintings that capture the exotic environments of Naboo, Tatooine, and Coruscant
- The visual evolution of the battle droids, the Trade Federation ships, and such unforgettable new characters as Qui-Gon Jinn, Queen Amidala, and Jar Jar Binks
- A showcase of the best of the poster art for Episode I
And much more!
As the original Star Wars movie set new standards with its cutting-edge art and technology, this thrilling new chapter in the cinematic saga again transports us to the farthest regions of our imaginations. — (Del Rey, 1999)